Talent or No Talent - What should one do? - Opinion


Talent or No Talent - What should one do? - Opinion





Do you have a unique, extraordinary talent? And what if one doesn't have one?

For instance, a peer from my grade school was able to compute long division, long multiplication, addition, subtraction and even square root calculator; he provided answers within 20 to 40 seconds – now, how is that for a calculator? Technically, we should all be able to do it. We don't know how. If we compare one person to another, we are all very similar. You can say if you are a human, donkey, bird, or bumblebee. For instance, when I see numbers, I turn to a calculator. When I don't have a calculator, a computer program like Excel or spreadsheets will do the job. What is the difference between my peer and me? My peer knows how to calculate things, and I don't. Could there be other factors? For example, I am not a scientist. Let's see if scientists would answer that in the future.

Some people can run very fast, and there are always people with super talent. The difference is that they know how to do it with ease. I have no talent, just like most of us. Who would know that you are talented at being a dentist if you refuse to be a doctor? I, for instance, would never even use one of such talents if it were mine because I am never working in such a field. 

Even if we try very hard, we may find a talent or two - a few good skills. At the same time, others remain in the unknown of finding talent. When running, for example, I end up walking half the way or stopping for a breather (which is wrong, one should not stop abruptly all of a sudden after running – one has to do it gradually). I am not a marathon runner. Are you a marathon runner? What is your secret? And practising every day is not a complete answer. I practised every day back in school, and still, I was not talented at it – practice or not. One day my friend and I decided to cheat by running on the weekends and improving our skills. Guess what? After running for 30 seconds, our heads started spinning, we felt tired, and that was it. Maybe we thought it was fun during class because we knew it would be over and done soon. Running outside of school time did not work.

Some people are good at something and receive an award. I have never received an award. So, when people help me with my resume, they ask where I excel. 

I never excelled at anything. Even when I have done superior work, my bosses couldn't care more or less. The closest that came to an award was during a food drive in high school. I was the only one who remembered to bring non-perishable food for the food drive, and everyone cheered and mentioned my name and all. I was so happy and full of myself for the first time in my life, everything turned dark, and I fainted for a few seconds. After everything became dark, I placed my head on the table and fell unconscious. It was for a moment. After that, I felt better, and thankfully, no one noticed me fainting. Anxiety for doing something good and being praised one time? That's me, all right.  

One could assume that every person is somehow talented, but no one knows how to find talent; for some, it just happens. One could start by looking at your hobbies, whether sports or arts, growing a garden of vegetables, or discussing literature. I am not a sports person, but occasionally I enjoy playing a sport – this doesn't mean I am developing talent in sports. For instance, I can improve my sports skills, but it will be just for fun. Sometimes fun is more important than talent, in my opinion, especially if you can't find any talent. If finding a talent didn't work out for you, then keep looking for it; maybe one day you will discover an extraordinary talent. Along the way, have fun – just like me, I have fun playing non-competitive sports that don't require running a marathon. Indeed, I am not a human calculator, but I like entering numbers in a calculator and seeing the answers popping simultaneously on the screen. Yey! 😊 


Leave us a comment. What are your talents, and how did you discover them? Or share your opinion. Please follow us, and we'll add more posts. 

Comments