Would it rain? Would it snow? 40% Precipitation What Does It Mean?

Would it rain? Would it snow? 40% Precipitation What Does It Mean?


Have you ever planned to go outside and check the weather just before stepping out? It said 40% chance of precipitation. Would it rain? Would it snow? I don't know. Should I wear rain boots, or should I wear new shoes? Should I take an umbrella?

Now you look all scrambled outside because you are dressed half for dry weather and half for precipitation. You may not like what you wear. Or maybe you are stuck with an umbrella on a bright sunny day. Perhaps you are a bit late for your occasion, as you were deliberating on the weather. 40% chance of precipitation - what does it mean?

As per my experience looking and searching about it on the internet, it's hard to find a solid answer. I remember the best reference ever - from eons ago. I took a geography class because that class also had topography and travel and tourism sections. We learned that a 60 percent chance of rain is a sure sign that it will rain/snow or hail. Anything less than 60%, and it will not rain. My next best experience of a 40% chance of rain is that it will not rain at all and if it would, only for 30 minutes or less. I guess that would be the best answer. The geography class served me well and also a bit of personal experience. 

Next time you see a 40 percent chance of precipitation, don't overthink it too much. If it rained, it would rain only for a brief time; otherwise, you are safe.

What is your personal experience with a 40 percent chance of precipitation?

If you happen to be a scientist, you are most welcome to add your best facts in the comments- as the weather is a plane mystery at times. 

Comments