I Scanned Groceries - Sandy's Mondays


 

  The Whisperer of the Abyss:

Sandy’s Never-Ending Monday Rants - Journal Entry 54

Fiction that's based on real life.  All names were changed, just in case.  

I Scanned Groceries Back Then - Sandy's Mondays

I scanned groceries
Scanning groceries was my part-time work when I was finishing writing two thesis papers for two different majors at a local college. I knew that I move slowly because of my fused back, and I compensated by talking with the customers and making it more fun than usual. This led me to have three hundred customers in a single shift, whereas other cashiers scanned about one hundred or so. Some people said that they choose me because I always wish them to have a great day. 

I thought I would receive a cashier of the month award, but I never did. 

One time a co-worker stole something and got caught. Everyone said that the co-worker who stole was my friend, though we were not friends in any way and she was a decade younger than me at least, so there was no chance of me and her being friends. I may have said, "Hello," once, but then I greeted all of my 500 co-workers and managers. 

So, now, by association with a thief, the boss also thought I was a thief too, where I was not.

Oh well, when these kinds of things happen, this means I will move on to a different project soon. There was no reason for me to stay there after I was finishing my final college year. 

One day, I scanned groceries during the evening, and Gallium showed up. She told me that she is a nurse now, and I told her that I was switching a few majors at different colleges and then finally was writing my two thesis papers at the same time, so needed something mindless to do for work. I did not consider it work really, it was a fun experience. Talking with five hundred people, joining in on a conversation, cheering people. Joking with customers, it was an excellent experience. 

While still scanning, I kindly asked Gallium not to ever be my nurse, because I remembered her telling me how she shook and ran into the washroom to throw up during her animal dissection class. I told her to stay away from me with all her nursing things because I did blood checks every so often. I told her that I knew she was not any good at it and would probably kill me for sure with her shaky hands and her weak nervous system. 

I was happy to tell her that, because she used to say bad things about me all the time, and yet we've stayed friends. We were not friends by the time I scanned her things. I never wish anyone to be friends with her either.  She called people fat when they were not. 

Gallium accused her younger sister of being fat, when it wasn't true. Remember she freaked out when Phebe and I danced a slow dance and called us Lesbians? So, my respect for her shrunk to nothing. I finished scanning and packing her groceries neatly, asked to pay, and wished her a great evening (which was always a positive saying, regardless of a person).

Asking for the money was the best part, I had a sudden urge to keep seeing her in Walmart and keep asking her for the money! That day Gallium gave me her money, and ran away as fast as she could, trying to hide herself from others. People act like that when they hear the truth. I did not see Galliumt since, but I had so much fun collecting her money. I was like, Bingo! Gallium reminds me of Chubaka, they are twins in character type. 

Next, I hear a familiar man's voice. "You are so angry, you will kill me any second." Then he looked at a different cashier who had scolding, hate-filled eyes, "You hate your job, you are ready to burst." I was the third cashier, "You seem like a happy person, please scan my things." 

"Why professor, I took your class at a college and really enjoyed it, you also gave me a B+."  At that time B+ was a good grade, now grades mean nothing to me because I just did my best and there was nothing more I could do. Writing multiple exams one after the other with five minutes in between to run to another building produced stressful chaos and strain, so I just did the best I could.  

As I scanned the groceries, my professor and I were conversing about the lectures. After he paid, he left his daughter and his groceries behind, because he was a shy professor. I called him back to collect his daughter and groceries. Oh well. >_< 

I've mentioned before, I did not count cashiering as work, it was a nonsense, kind-of-fun, experience. 

Share your opinions and comment below. 
Enjoy the read, follow us or share our post. 


Comments